Sunday, January 25, 2015

more laysan albatrosses

(7x9)
 More of the Laysan albatross for Facebook's Paint Colorful Birds for Fun.
I can see I need to darken the foreground albatross's back feathers ...

After reading a post on Vandy Massey's blog that featured a couple of her watercolor journal pages, I pulled out one of the many sketchbooks I have bought with the idea of keeping my own journal but that, until today, have gone unused. I now have so many paints, pencils, pens, etc. that I'm overwhelmed. A little empirical knowledge can only help.
I had, last fall, started a little picture of a pine cone in this sketchbook--which I really like: nice size, nice paper; the sketch was pretty weak, no darks. I happened to have these Pitt markers on my desk, and started filling in ... It's the best pine cone I've ever drawn!



5 comments:

Carol said...

I've started a journal of what I'm painting, with paint swatches, names & brands. Never did that before.
I like the idea of a sketch journal but I just know I won't keep it up.
Your pine cone is perfect. A wonderful Christmas card!

RH Carpenter said...

The light on the bird is great!! And love the journal. We really don't give ourselves enough credit for having these little gems lying around. And this is a gem - perfect for next year's holiday.winter card!! Love what you are sharing lately :)

Celia Blanco said...

I love the vibrant colors in the background of the birds, it really makes for a beautiful composition. Your pine cone sketches are wonderful, I love seeing the little notes on the side.I will check out Vandy Massey's blog, thanks for sharing the link.

Barbara Muir said...

Love these so much!

XOXOXOXO Barbara

Gwen Buchanan said...

Love these... So gorgeous!