Wednesday, March 05, 2014

dabbling

Still pecking away at this iris painting ... trying to fill it in in little pieces.
On a whim this morning, looking at my basket full of paint tubes, I took out a tube of thalo blue (yellow shade) and thalo blue (red shade). I have never kept thalos on my palette: they are so strong; but I mixed the YS with a little yellow and the RS with a little blue and got a beautiful bright green and a lovely translucent purple. I used thalo blue in the background on the left and right.
And I'll be adding them to my palette.

Started another painting--it's supposed to canna lilies, but, right now, I can't tell what's what!
And finally, a few photos I took in my yard: house finch, Carolina chickadee, and house sparrow.
Saw a Carolina wren at the feeder today, but didn't get his picture.



9 comments:

Vandy said...

I love these irises. Glorious colours.

Katherine Harra said...

Splendid colors, Laura. And amazing photography - is it skills, training, equipment? How are you able to capture the birds so beautifully?

Unknown said...

I love the colors in both paintings. They're rich and vibrant without being overdone. I think you are a very wise, experienced artist to know that you wanted to tone down the boldness of the thalos before you allowed them into your palette. I can't wait to see the finished pieces.

Polly Birchall said...

A lovely post full of interesting things. Enjoy your new colours all the flowers look good

Debbie Nolan said...

Laura -- very beautiful colors and your bird photos are so good too. Hope you have a great weekend.

Barbra Joan said...

Carolina wrens made their nest in my Staghorn fern two years in a row.. Not this year darn it..
The fern is hung right outside my bedroom window so I saw everything .
The day the babies came out for their first flight ... all within minutes of each other.. and Mom was right there.. what a sight .. I felt like a grandmother. !!! Barbra Joan

Unknown said...

nice watercolors!!
arts

Celia Blanco said...

The colors are so vibrant and work beautifully with the violets, it's looking beautiful! You have a lot of inspiration with these great shots!

JANE MINTER said...

Look forward to seeing how you resolve the leaves on both ... Enjoy the new vibrant colours Laura ... Beautiful start on both . ...beautiful photos too.