Friday, June 10, 2011

labors intensive and not


First the "not": a little book I made of Arches 90lb. paper, with a scrap from an unfinished painting as the cover/accordian binding that holds the signatures in place.
The directions for this "Flat-Style Australian Reversed Piano Hinge" book are in Gwen Diehn's excellent Real Life Journals: Designing & Using Handmade Books. 
You make an incision in the fold of your signature, then slip the accordian pleat through. Glue down the covers and voila.
This a small test-run, 3 x 5 inches; I'd like to make a larger one.
This book appealed to me because it doesn't require sewing and because individual pages can be removed and/or replaced simply by removing the "hinge pin" (a strip of paper slipped through the accordian fold, below).




For intensive labor I have a wheelbarrow full of plants that I bought on impulse--I cannot resist, no matter how many times I end up regretting it later--to plant ... but first I have to make a bed for them. Oh, and it's been 100 degrees here for two days. Luckily for me, and the plants, that doesn't stop my mother, who was over here yesterday and today, bright and early, shovel and hoe in hand!

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Lovely book you created!

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

Oh, your flowers look good! My garden is a wreck this year. I have let the weeds get the best of me, and gradually the trees that were medium sized when we moved here 20 years ago have created so much shade that nothing much blooms any more.

I'd love to see that handmade journal "in the flesh."

Carol said...

I'm really intrigued by that book

marnold said...

Clever boots. The book binding is slick but getting your mother to cheer you on in the garden is the way to go. Please save room for some extras from my garden.

Autumn Leaves said...

We had those 100 degree temps too, but finally it cooled down a bit here with some much relished rain. Love the cover on this little book! Can't wait to see what you put in it!

Anonymous said...

Love the little book. I made one a few years back and just laced a white piece of leather thru two holes punched in the middle of the fold. But as I take them out by tearing them, the other side is just hanging there. So this idea looks pretty good. I'll go check out the link.
I so get the implusive buying of beautiful plants. Good luck with that.
love following your blog and I hope all my likes come thru.
peace n abundance,
CheyAnne
http://cheyannesexton.etsy.com