Sunday, August 10, 2008

east point light, delaware bay



This is the East Point Light in the Delaware Bay at the Maurice River. Peter and I went out fishing for weakfish yesterday afternoon; caught only throwbacks and some sand sharks, a croaker, and an oyster cracker.
We gave up on the fishing and head past the lighthouse up the Maurice River and found a little dockside bar, Al's Hideaway--a fine Old Jersey-style place: a little rundown, a little rough around the edges. That might describe the clientele as well, and we fit right in.
We paid for our diversion when the wind and tide changed while we were in the bar, and took a pounding all the way back to the dock trying to get in before dark.
Below's a watercolor sketch of the lighthouse that I made from the boat two summers ago. I doubt if I could improve on it.
(5x7)
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Suzanne McDermott said...

A sweet watercolor, and very American. I think there must be a dozen joints named Al's Hideaway in New Jersey at least at one time or another over the past 60 years. Glad to know there's at least one still open.

Mineke Reinders said...

A very lovely watercolor sketch, Laura - indeed it does not need improving upon! Al's Hideaway sounds wonderful, (great name, too!)

Sharon said...

What a lovely painting! I admire your ability to keep your colors so bright and fresh. After seeing the photos on your blog and at Paris Breakfast (her recent time in Maine), I think I may have to plan a New England vacation. It looks so pretty. I've yet to visit that part of the U.S.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Laura . I just love it.. It is so fresh and expressive!!!

laura said...

I love the old-timey places--so casual, carefree!--the places leftover from when everything was fixed up!
And I've never been to Oregon! Peter's three sisters all live in Eugene, and he has an uncle in Victoria, BC. I think it's about time we imposed on them!
Thanks, Gwen. For some reason, when I paint ON the boat I get the most pleasing result--maybe it's the salt water! ;-)