Wednesday, February 07, 2007

wednesday 2/7


This morning our model, Ruth, was late because of the snow and ice, so Bonnie modeled for us until she arrived, giving us a chance to concentrate on the head.
When we critique classmates' paintings when the model's on break, Bonnie always begins by asking us what we like about a painting. Here, I like the light on the hair and the left cheek, the lips ... the way they fade. Problems: the ear's too small, which I think I can slightly remedy; the eyes are too close (not fixable); and I got confused about the shape of the bottom plane of the nose, which I suppose I could try to fix, but I don't want to go in and start lifting and redoing areas, because that might ruin what's probably the best thing about it: it's a sketch, it looks un-labored-over, and that's more important to retain, to me, than "fixing" everything I can identify as "wrong" here.
I'll just leave it alone and try to observe that shape more accurately next time.

We did a long pose with Ruth and Bonnie asked us to think about breaking up the background into shapes ... This isn't finished, but I can work on it at home. A few problems to fix here--the left foot, the left arm, which looks hiked up or stiff (not sure this can be fixed, actually)--and some areas to finish--the hair, some cast shadows.
But I already feel disappointed with this effort, since it's so similar to my last painting of Ruth but, to my mind, not as good a painting ... there's something clunky about the torso, and I'm reluctant to add more washes there.
Maybe once I get her hair on (!!!) I'll see it differently. Don't know why I didn't paint the hair when I put the first wash on the face. Face and hair should painted at the same time, letting the paint mingle or run (a bit) to avoid making the hair look like it's sitting on top of the head.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: