Saturday, February 03, 2007
Arranged a new still life setup in Berwyn Thursday.
I had nothing in mind particularly, except that I wanted to use my battenberg lace curtain ... Somehow it wound up being all pinks. But it doesn't bother me.
I finished the drawing (which is a little tight; I'm hoping to disregard the finer details when I start painting, especially on the large peachy-colored rose) and thought I should start painting with the yellow orchids and little daffodils, so that I don't lose them; I think the yellows will end up being an important relief from the pinks.
Thought I should do a practice run of the lace. And, as you can see, it's a good thing I did!
I've only painted lace twice before and both times, I can see now, I made the
same mistake, of painting the holes too dark. It has to be way more subtle.
I think I will also have to break with my usual practice of just painting my way across the paper in a trance and actually plan where to make a lot of the lace and where to let it sort of just fade away ....
Anxious to work more on this one, but missed this week, 2/2, due to the bronchitis! Will take this as a chance to practice the lace again.