Tuesday, October 31, 2006

not enough painting! :-(

Here's an unfinished effort last Monday, 10/23 that was. The white area in the middle is a porch on a house in Cape May. I wanted to try to "vignette" the edges, that is, not paint all the way out to the edges ... it's a little too blocky still, but I like the subject and will try it again.
The next effort, started yesterday, 10/30, and worked on a bit today, but also not done (I think) is this study of some dying branches of beachplums that I picked while walking Itchy. There're a few trees on an empty lot by the bay, and I find these milky orange-pink plums irresistible. Sadly, the last couple of years for some reason--temperature? dampness?--the leaves have not been so nice, spotted and dropping early. I was about to chuck these when I thought the dying leaves had a not bad draping effect!
Any suggestions on the background? I'd leave it white--the easy way out--but I may need to pull some of the blue-greens in the vase into the upper background, and some of the yellow-greens in the leaves into the bottom half ...


 Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Robin@TheNatureCoast said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Robin@TheNatureCoast said...

This is the same comment I posted b4, thought I had placed it in the wrong spot! "I love this painting, the big red globes and drooping leaves- I'm thinking something the color of dried leaves inthe back ground- cat tails or sea oats- but the white bkground adds to its dimensionality so.... "