Saturday, September 15, 2018

Incoming tide

I watched an Alvaro Castagnet video and, since I'm taking a workshop with him next month, decided to try his method of starting with a wet-on-wet underpainting.
This subject--from a photo I took of a receding tide from my kayak--doesn't, to say the least, lend itself to his dramatic style: once my underpainting was done, there really wasn't much for me to add!
But, I did feel myself to be a little freer in the underpainting, thinking of it as a fou dation that would be painted over!

4 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

I agree, there was nothing more to do to finish it and it’s beautiful!!

Barbra Joan said...

Really nice, and how great that your taking a Castagnet workshop. !!
Enjoy that !
I'm not taking any workshop this year (far as I know) but have 4 day trip to Savannah at the end of October..I find so much inspiration in that city..

laura said...

Thanks, Rhonda. Have to try to get ref photos with clearer value contrasts!

laura said...

Savannah is so beautiful! And what a great time of year to be there.

The workshop will no doubt be a challenge, but I'm trying to keep anxiety at bay by thinking of it as a great learning opportunity!