Tuesday, June 29, 2010

wip and a surprise

(9x12)
I can never remember the name of these flowers--they have them often at the supermarket and they are usually the default pick among the scanty, uninspiring choices. How I miss those bunches and bunches of both homey and exotic flowers always on offer outside groceries in New York.
I did have a surprise last week, when Easter lilies and white gladiolas bloomed in my yard. I have no recollection of planting either! I love Easter lilies, but didn't get a chance to paint them (too much else to do! It always seems, in retrospect, a mistake not to stop everything to paint flowers), but never cared much for gladiolas--these white ones surprised me though; I thought them very elegant, white-linen-like.


btw: Several people asked me about the little drawing table in my previous post ... I'm trying to find out where I bought it (so long ago) and I can't seem to find a brand/manufacturer name on it, but if I find any info, I'll post it.

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Charlene Brown said...

Your mystery flowers are lovely - glad you didn't make the mistake of not painting these ones! Don't forget, if it's not possible to stop everything long enough to paint, don't make the mistake of not photographing them either -- especially really fleeting effects like magical backlighting by the sun.

RH Carpenter said...

Looking very good - in fact, better than the flowers themselves (I know the ones you mean but also don't know the name). I love all glads as they remind me of my most loved grandmother, who grew them specifically to take to the cemetery and decorate the graves. What a nice surprise to get blooms you forgot you planted! But you're right - never do anything instead of painting your blooming flowers as they will then be a wonderful garden record.

Anonymous said...

I always admire your flower paintings. They always look so fresh. It's an area I have difficulty with. Always seem to mess up the background somehow.
Jean

Joyfulartist said...

ALSTROEMERIA-the flower name we all forget. I had to look it up in a florists web site, all I could remember was that it started with A. They are fun to paint and come in several different colors. I love your white gladiolas. Wouldn't it be fun to be able to just paint whenever we wanted to?

Janie B said...

Beautiful painting. I'm a new follower. Love your work.

Carol said...

Also called Peruvian Lilies. Love your painting!

jamila aladdin said...

Hi Laura ... your painting is comig alog icely, the colours are fresh, ad spotaeous ... I´ll be back to see how you get along

Anonymous said...

I love these bright lillies here. Very festive and light. and I adore glads, but always forget to plant them in the spring, maybe next year. thanks for stopping my my blog as well.
peace n abundance,
CheyAnne
http://cheyannesexton.etsy.com

irinasztukowski said...

ALSTROEMERIA last forever and it is the great fact in order to paint them live (not from the photo). These flowers are my mom's favorite, but for some reason I had not have a chance to paint them yet.
The painting looks fresh and airy. Love it!
Thanks!
Irina Sztukowski (www.IrinaSztukowski.Etsy.com)

Cathy Gatland said...

Laura, it's ages since I've taken time to visit, read and comment on blogs but coming here feels like home :) I've so enjoyed looking at your latest posts and paintings, all lovely and all peaceful, even when you didn't think so. I love these flowers and your clean colours - can't wait for spring here and my alstroemerias to start blooming again (haven't had much luck with glads - the bugs always seem to get them!)

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Laura,

Alstroemeria are the default flowers here too. Apparently they are the flower of prosperity and friendship. I wish you both. A beautiful painting.

Take care,

Barbara