Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"praise in summer"

(6x9)

The other half of the page; the same bay in the USVI from a different angle.


"Praise in Summer"
Richard Wilbur

Obscurely yet most surely called to praise,
As sometimes summer calls us all, I said
The hills are heavens full of branching ways
Where star-nosed moles fly overhead the dead;
I said the trees are mines in air, I said
See how the sparrow burrows in the sky!
And then I wondered why this mad instead
Perverts our praise to uncreation, why
Such savor's in this wrenching things awry.
Does sense so stale that it must needs derange
The world to know it? To a praiseful eye
Should it not be enough of fresh and strange
That trees grow green, and moles can course in clay,
And sparrows sweep the ceiling of our day?
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Suzanne McDermott said...

Very nice watercolor, Laura! And Richard Wilbur is one of my two (three?) most favorite living poets. Great combo.

cathyswatercolors said...

Hi Laura, You make it look sooo easy. I can't wait to see what you do at the workshop you are going to attend. Lucky you Kosmer's paintings are beautiful.

HeartFire said...

Lovely colors, soft yet glowing.

A Brush with Color said...

Beautiful! I think this one is gorgeous. I love your colors in this painting. And I''m loving the poetry, too! I'm a huge fan of good poetry.c

Art with Liz said...

Ah beautiful Laura, just beautiful.