Thursday, June 23, 2016


American goldfinch and scarlet tanager.
I actually had many goldfinches at my feeder this spring, first time. Have yet to see a tanager.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

More fishing boats

These are hanging, along with four more of my paintings, in a group show in Cape May; the show opens tomorrow.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Fishing boats

I had always been afraid to paint fishing boats: all that stuff rising from the deck.
But I tried one--just trying to paint what I saw simply and without feeling I had to include everything--and now I can't stop.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Plein air

A day (half a day, actually) of plein air painting in Cape May, NJ. Cloudy and breezy conditions favored smaller paintings; these were done on a 12x18 block. Trying to get the curve of the shoreline to lie flat, primarily. Decided to avoid the issue entirely in my third sketch.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016


I bought a couple of these glass bouys to paint. I love the color of the glass and the shapes and rhythms of the line.
Need to work on the transparency.

Monday, May 30, 2016


Have been wanting for some time to do a series of sparrows. Started with chipping and white-throated, two I often see in my yard.

Friday, May 27, 2016

Spring flowers

The daffodils are long gone, the irises nearly done.
Next, hoping for my peonies and lilies to come through.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Value studies

A few little value stdies I did in a tent class.
I'm not a great one for value studies, but doing these, more than helping me plan values, helped me simplify the subjects, which was extraordinarily hel0ful.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Friday, May 20, 2016

Sparrows, Chickadees, Titmouses

Hello. It's been a long time.
I have been painting now and then, and often think of getting the blog going again and, as important, getting back into the blogger community.
I think my smartphone and Facebook have made me lazy.
I've been posting paintings on FB, in some painting groups there ... You get a lot of "likes" sometimes but it's very impersonal and so less gratifying and ultimately less interesting and purposeful.
Writing a blog post and interacting with other bloggers facilitated a lot of thinking about painting. I've missed it.

Here are a few paintings I did at the beginning of the year.

Saturday, February 07, 2015

little still life

Patterns always give me trouble; too impatient, I guess. Maybe with more practice ...
I painted this on a little scrap of previously toned paper.

Wednesday, February 04, 2015

birds ...

White-capped tanager (top) and blue throat drawings for Paint Colorful Birds for Fun.
And, at my feeder:
Baltimore oriole

American tree sparrows

... notecards ...

Saturday, January 31, 2015

silver-eared mesia


 This week's bird for Facebook's Paint Colorful Birds for Fun is the Southeast Asian silver-eared mesia.
In the first one, composed this little group from different reference photos. I'm trying to add some surroundings too.
These were both painted on cold press paper; I think I'd like to try them on hot press.

Friday, January 30, 2015

Tuesday, January 27, 2015


I don't know why I have so much trouble with tulips! The only solution is to paint more tulips.

Sunday, January 25, 2015

more laysan albatrosses

 More of the Laysan albatross for Facebook's Paint Colorful Birds for Fun.
I can see I need to darken the foreground albatross's back feathers ...

After reading a post on Vandy Massey's blog that featured a couple of her watercolor journal pages, I pulled out one of the many sketchbooks I have bought with the idea of keeping my own journal but that, until today, have gone unused. I now have so many paints, pencils, pens, etc. that I'm overwhelmed. A little empirical knowledge can only help.
I had, last fall, started a little picture of a pine cone in this sketchbook--which I really like: nice size, nice paper; the sketch was pretty weak, no darks. I happened to have these Pitt markers on my desk, and started filling in ... It's the best pine cone I've ever drawn!

Friday, January 23, 2015

fairy wren

What a beautiful bird! Common to southeastern Australia ... so lucky me to have the Internet and see a bird I'd never see otherwise.

Went on a bird walk Monday with the local Audubon group and saw my first flicker and just missed seeing my first cedar waxwing; they're here, I just never see them! Also saw, among many other kinds--gadwalls, wigeons, mallards--two beautiful ducks: hooded merganser and ring-necked duck.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Monday, January 19, 2015



What a pleasure it is to draw: I always seem to forget ... It can be very meditative, exploratory ... It would be nice to bring some of that into my painting (and reduce the panic).


Saturday, January 17, 2015

more colorful birds for fun

Violet-eared waxbill
Visit Facebook's Paint Colorful Birds for Fun to see some really gorgeous paintings of this beautiful bird!
I'd like to paint them again (and again) ... more loosely next time, and bigger, maybe.
Great-crested Grebe

Friday, January 16, 2015

laysan albatross


Once again, I find I've neglected my blog ... I didn't do much painting over the holiday season for one, and for two, I  seemed to have a lot of technological problems.
So, once again, trying to get back on track.
I made these little paintings for the FaceBook page Paint Colorful Birds for Fun: each week they choose another bird. There's some spectacular work there!


Related Posts with Thumbnails