Saturday, January 14, 2023

sargent copies

I recently took an online workshop with Susan Abbott, whose paintings I love, especially her watercolors, about Winslow Homer and J. S. Sargent.
Our final homework assignment was to copy three Sargent paintings and a detail from one of his paintings (above). It took me about a month to tackle this assignment, and I still have two more to do.
It's daunting, but I did learn a couple of things: put yellow in your purple; darken green with red; and be freer with brushwork.
1st attempt
2nd attempt


8 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

Sargent is a great painter to try to copy, can learn so much from studying his work

Barbara Muir said...

Wonderful. A brave endeavour!

Love them.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

What a great thing to do - and brave- I love this idea. I'm pretty sure I know the painting the top detail came from. Such beautiful shadows, happy paintings that make my heart sing.

Hope you are having a great week.

laura said...

Thank you, Jennifer Rose, Barbara and Lisa. This really is something I'd like to try to do more often. It makes me think!

Anonymous said...

Your second attempt is fabulous.

laura said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

You’re most welcome, Laura. I also paint in watercolors, and will be posting some of my work soon. I’m new to Blogger.

laura said...

I look forward to seeing them!