Saturday, May 08, 2021

continuing w iris ...

                               12x12

This is for a class in which, last week, we looked at the paintings of Nell Blaine. Her early work was mostly abstract, but, after she was paralyzed by polio, her work became more representational (what's the cause-and-effect? idk, except maybe being, at least initially, more confined, she chose to paint what she could see?) and she painted more watercolors, which, the paper lying flat, were easier for her to paint.
I love her landscapes and still lifes, and her wondercfgul view-through-a-window paintings.
I chose to paint from a photo of dwarf iris in my yard.
Finding ot hard to "fill in" the negative shapes...
Best bet is probably to think it over for a day!

3 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Looks good - very different but you know what it is right away - the greens against the violets works well. Will you paint the white something? Maybe a pale blue wash or ?? You are learning so much from so many artists right now. wow!

Jennifer Rose said...

thats actually really interesting that her work changed after she was ill, found this great qoute from her about the changes in her art: "I tend to work more compactly and I think the forms are simpler. The worst limitation is working so close. I used to be very athletic while painting; I would run back and run forward so I wouldn't lose the knowledge of where that stroke should go. Now I blur my eyes so I will get the all over.... What I did before my illness tended to have the feeling of over-expenditure of energy. What I did afterward represents me myself, free and detached."

laura said...

Thanks, Rhonda, can probably never go wrong with blue! :-)

And thank you Jennifer Rose, what a great quotation!