Sunday, March 07, 2021

new class

                              8x10
I started a new Zoom class this week. It's a little unusual: the first half is an art history lesson. In the second half we critique the paintings we did based on the previous week's lesson.
This week the lesson was on beds in art.
I went through three ideas, below, before settling on the one above: in which my cat Arya plays the part of an odalisque.
                            5x7
Just always wanted to paint this: white cats on a white bed.
                               11x15
This was was inspired by Van Gogh's Bedroom. at Arles, but very soon began to look like a dud: I didn't divide the space or add enough things to to make it interesting. Also couldn't figure out how to add dark values.
                                  9x12
This one was inspired by a watercolor sketch by Edward Hopper; in his sketch, his naked wife, Jo, with her back to us, hugs a bunch of pillows. I have no model, so it's pillows only.

1 comment:

RH Carpenter said...

Wow! You did a great job on the beds and cats - and I really love the pillows (would that be one you’d part with in our trade?)