Sunday, April 19, 2020

day 4: "good enough to eat"

                                  7x10

I don't have much that's " good to eat" in the house, but I do have a few jars of homemade blueberry jam, which is very good to eat! I spoon it on my Greek yogurt!
I overworked the shadows on the napkin, especially on the right ... and there are a few other little things--which I'm not about to point out!
I was thinking painting and the desire for perfection. I imagine painters, artists of all kinds, must desire perfection ... but perfection in the right things, whatever they think those are.
For example, here some of my curves are not right, not perfect, but that honestly does not concern me so much.
What does bother me, where this painting falls short for me, is in the overworked sections; because for me, in my watercolors, "perfection" is freshness, ease, the flow of the paint.

5 comments:

Carol said...

But the jam sparkles!

laura said...

Ha! That's a win, then, right?
Thanks Carol!

RH Carpenter said...

The jam and the blueberries are a win and the cloth, not so much but I think it’s the composition of how it’s placed, not the values, that make it less appealing. Perhaps lighten some color here and there to give it more pop and shape. Or no time to do that and say this one isn’t the A+ you’ve been getting in the first few days! ha ha. We can’t all win them all!

laura said...

HI Rhonda. Thank you for all your comments on these (surprisingly!) daily posts! Good point about the napkin: I tend to be a little TOO casual in setting up my still lifes! Need to get more strategic!

Barbara Muir said...

I love it, and do not find the shadows overworked. Insisting that things happen
in one stroke is asking way too much. Some of my favourite painters clearly don't manage that. And in this case it's a perfect painting!

You are one of my favourite painters.

XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara