Tuesday, August 20, 2019

plein air: mt. vernon ave

11x15

Joe Milligan, who is teaching a plein air class here for the summer, brought us to this little tucked away spot, just a block off the busy beach drive. There's a shady path, overlooking a tidal marsh, that leads to a path to the beach. The dunes are unbelievably picturesque--I'm guessing they've been built up and native plants added--and I plan to paint them this fall when it cools down a bit.
It was low tide when we were painting, with flat muddy areas and shallow water that was nearly white.
With all the layers of grasses and brush going back into the distance, I was concentrating on trying to use color to convey atmospheric perspective.
But I'd say this isn't quite finished ... I'm not sure if I'll finish it--it looks too busy to me. I feel like I either have to consolidate and simplify some of the grass/brush shapes OR go the other way! If I could paint like John Marin, I think I'd really have something here!

3 comments:

Candy said...

Ooooooh! I love this, Laura!

laura said...

Thank you, Candy!

Barbara Muir said...

Love it. So wonderful.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara