Wednesday, July 10, 2019

too too


11x14

Every day is not a winner, as my mother used to say. I like some things about this painting--the grasses, the muddy shoreline and it's reflection in the shallow water. But there's a stiffness to it--too many hard edges?--that makes me call it a miss. worth trying again, wetter and looser next time!

 Another couple of abandoned paintings below ... same problem as the one above, I think: despite a nice passage here and there, too ... too something!
7.5x11 each

2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

I don’t know how you can paint white houses without the hard edges :). but I think maybe just a softening of the trees behind the house will make you like it more? I don’t find it too hard-edged all over but I do see what you mean = doesn’t have a flow of some of your other beachy paintings. And as for the figures, well, that’s a whole ‘nother subject, so I can’t tell you one way or another. Wish we all could do them loose and free like Charles Reid did!

Barbara Muir said...

I love all of them. You are too hard on yourself. This was definitely a good day, but there's the inner critic Danny Gregory talks about in this books. There is some external standard, and I don't get it. You are so good!

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara