Sunday, July 14, 2019

plein air: loosening up

 7x10

I forgot all about my plein air class last week! But I made it this week, if a little late.
I set up and started drawing Burcham's farmhouse. 
I was about to start painting when I turned around and looked behind me: there was a tractor path in the grass, hazy trees in the distance, and barn swallows flying everywhere.
I decided to try something I've heard about from several people lately--do a little warmup painting.
It started out so well ... I was trying to think of John Singer Sargent, of his brushwork and color choices--I just added one of his favorite colors, viridian, to my palette, and there's a touch of it here; but I didn't get his values or composition. May try to tweak it and paint it again.
Still have to add the swallows, but I need to do a little research first.

11x15

By the way, the warming up did help, I think. It was getting dark so I didn't have much time, but I did put in washes for the sky and distant trees and I think they came out very fresh and unfussy.
I'll post a photo next time--too dark for photos now!

2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

OMG, you are becoming so good at these plein aire gems!!!

Barbara Muir said...

Love both pieces. I've seen some of Sargent's large watercolours in New Brunswick in the Beaverbrook art Gallery. Quite wonderful. Your work is superb!

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara