Thursday, June 27, 2019

brandywine light


5x7
Brandywine Shoal Light, a favorite subject of mine. 
I drew four lighthouses in the Delaware Bay--two one the Jersey side, this one and Miah Muall, and two on the Delaware side, by Cape Henlopen: the Breakwater Lighthouse and the beautifully named Harbor of Refuge Light. Thought they'd make a nice set for my upcoming art show.
I propped up the drawing so I could look them over for about 24 hours before I started painting; they looked okay to me.
The wonkiness always becomes apparent after painting!
I think I am going to have to work on how I draw lighthouses.

Last Sunday I took a plein air class on the beach in Cape May with Joe Milligan. Joe had the very good idea to have a class from 7:30-10 a.m., 10 a.m. being when the parking meters go on and the beach tag inspectors begin their rounds! Although Cape May was so pleasant I am going to buy a beach tag! (I usually go to the free beaches in the Wildwoods.)
Joe had a great lesson planned; we painted a scene he had painted previously. 
I normally paint skies pretty simply, and all prima--all in one go, but after class Sunday, I think my skies are going to get more interesting!

11x14

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know we grow with constructive critic but I think you’re much to hard on yourself lol, it’s truly beautiful and I always remember what my art teacher in high school told us, you want perfect, take a photo lol, your work is wonderful, I love light houses too,

laura said...

Thank you, Laurie. Your art teacher was right, imho! I would do well to remember it!

Barbara Muir said...

I think your lighthouse is great, and I love the cloud image.

Wonderful work.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

RH Carpenter said...

The “wonkiness” of the lighthouse just adds to the beauty of it, to me. I see your hand in the making (unlike a perfect photograph as Laurie mentioned) and it makes me smile. And the second painting = WOW! Yep, you are going to be sharing some gorgeous skies with us after that very early :( start to the class!