Wednesday, April 30, 2014

cherry blossom

(7x11)
Inspired by Van Gogh's Apple Blossom in a Glass (below), I plucked a sprig from my cherry tree.
I may add some kind of background ... I love Van Gogh's red stripe.

 
I think one thing I am learning about painting glass is to paint lighter and grayer.

(5x11)
Also working on tulips (again): these represent very nearly my whole harvest this year. (I think the squirrels eat them before they bloom.)
I decided to crop out the red tulip, which is too big and "heavy" ... I thought the (one) red would be balanced by the three (lighter) tulips, but, at least in this instance--because I still think the idea is sound!--it didn't work.


8 comments:

Katherine Harra said...

Laura, I'm hoping you are calling the tulip painting done, I LOVE the way you've indicated the jar with just the bit of line and the swoosh of wet blue. mmmmm. what self control, what an eye. I think you were right to omit the red tulip too, it was too detailed and drew my eye immediately to that side of the page.

Joyfulartist said...

I love the cherry blossoms! Very nice.

laura said...

Ha. Thank you, Katherine. Though, truly, it's more cowardice or cluelessness than restraint!
I hadn't thought of it--but you're right: maybe that painting is done!

Thank you, Joyfulartist. I wanted to keep it simple, like the subject, and like my inspiration!

RH Carpenter said...

I like the idea of that stem and leaf going off the edge in the tulips and really like the cherry blossoms - perhaps a tellow or blue stripe in the bg? Also, great new photo of you! (Postcard is in the mail.)

debwardart said...

These are so gentle and airy - good job. Sometimes you have to crop out - makes for a better ptg.

debwardart said...

Oops - one more comment - I do like your new photo (I'd recognize you anywhere!)

Celia Blanco said...

Beautiful and fresh! I love the glass, it is a shame your tulips were eaten by squirrels. I like the single red tulip off to the side.

JANE MINTER said...

wonderful inspiration laura ... and beautifully painted ... the crop works really with the tulip.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails