Thursday, March 13, 2014

a little crazy ...

Took a break from the tulips, which I just couldn't face!, and went back to this canna lily from a few posts ago.
I was, and am, stumped about what to do to the lilies to make them look like lilies (which is okay; there's plenty more watercolor paper in my closet), so I thought instead I'd just put in some kind of background, fill the space.
Looks a little crazy to me, but it's made me think I should spend more time "filling space": it's a good exercise for me in making decisions, since I usually go ahead without thinking and hope for the best.


5 comments:

Vandy said...

This is stunning, Laura. Cannas are one of my favourite flowers and I love the intensity of these.

Celia Blanco said...

I love it Laura!The geometric shapes create an interesting backdrop and the colors work well with the flower

RH Carpenter said...

I like this a lot - the more graphic style of the leaves against that soft flower part work really well :)

Katherine Harra said...

This is a beautiful solution, Laura. You didn't need to make the blossoms any more detailed, they are perfect. And the background is entertaining, lovely, and contrasts a bit with the harder edges against the wonderful wet bleeds of the canna blossoms. This is now one of my favorites of yours!

Barbra Joan said...

Doesn't matter what you paint.
It always grabs my attention..
Don't know if it's color, but it 'gets' me every time. Barbra Joan