Thursday, January 02, 2014

lbb

(5x7)
Perhaps I shouldn't say, since last time I only lasted 4 days, but I've signed up for Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days challenge.
This is Day One.
I should have checked my proportions--the poor little bird's head look a bit pinched ... Need more practice drawing.

Jane asked if I mix my own browns and blacks. I do mix black, usually with blue and a brown, sometimes a red and green, but I use the earth tones--yellow ocher, raw sienna, burnt sienna, burnt umber--from the tubes, sometimes mixing them together or with other colors.
I'm finding that to get the darks, it's not only the colors, but the thickness of the paint: when there's more paint and less water, the paint doesn't diffuse as much and therefore stays more intense.
 
 
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Watermarycolors said...

Un pajarito precioso y delicado, me encanta! feliz año nuevo!! happy new year! :)

RH Carpenter said...

I will definitely be watching for you 30 days of painting! Loving the birds - your paintings of the LBBs are making my bird paintings look a bit stiff and unreal but I'll just consider that a challenge to try to loosen up more for my own :)

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Laura - love your sparrow...I like Rhonda will be visiting often to see all your new work. I so love birds and yours are beautiful. Have a great day.

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Lovely sparrows...this one and the one below...

Barbara Muir said...

Love the drawings and the painting.

Happy New Year!

XOXO Barbara

Jennifer said...

The bird is lovely! The different browns are beautiful.

Enjoy your 30 days of painting! Happy new year!

Diana said...

so glad to see your work and hear from you!!! beautiful bird. love,Diana

Introverted Art said...

wow I can never commit to painting a day.

Celia Blanco said...

I am happy you are in the challenge too Laura! I just love you little bird, beautiful browns!

Cathy Gatland said...

Brave of you to sign up, and a great start Laura, love the softness of the feather colours on the head bleeding into each other - Happy New Year !