Friday, January 24, 2014

bouy, with gull

(5x6)
A sketch: I wanted to try the rippling water ... Need more practice, and I think more confidence to pull it off: a lot of paint, a lot of water, and some courage would help.

(6x8)
WIP: This fall I visited a local winery where the woman conducting the tastings gave me a copy of a photo she took. I've been wanting to paint it, but wasn't sure how to approach it--one big wash or paint each grape individually?
Maybe the answer's both: paint the grapes in front singly; and wet-in-wet washes in the back? ... Any suggestions?

Boat-tailed grackles in my yard yesterday.


4 comments:

Celia Blanco said...

I think you did a beautiful job on the water, it's a great sketch! The grapes are off to a great start! I like the idea of leaving the focus on the grapes in the foreground and loose washes in the background to create depth.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Laura,

I love the painting and the discussion. I don't have the answers for you, but you make me think.

If you have a minute read my piece on the Art Biz blog and comment. I'd love to know what you think.

XOXOXO Barbara

cathyswatercolors said...

I like your idea. http://dedraadaquarellen.blogspot.com/ had a video on how she achieves her look not sure when a few months back it was interesting, though I'm certain you know it already. Still, it's interesting, for me at least, to watch people paint. Your paintings are always lush and beautiful.

Polly Birchall said...

The grapes you have done already are beautiful