Tuesday, February 14, 2012

DPW challenge

 
(4x8)
I painted this for the Daily Paintworks's White on White challenge using Mary Van Arsdel's photo at Paint My Photo. "White on white" seems to be cropping up everywhere I look ... As usual, there are some really great interpretations of the challenge at DPW.
My own personal spring challenge, every year: daffodils. I started this without planning or drawing, just painting the flower shapes. I felt I had to add the darks, and now realize I need to bring them (or some other color, a background?) out to the sides ... and also to break up the line of flowers on the left: that's what happens when you don't plan!
 
(7x11)
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The blue background really makes the first watercolor pop and I like the way you carried some of the background color into the flower for shading. It's a stunning piece.
Jean

renate said...

Hallo Laura! Love your magnolia! The colors you added are beautiful. You know I made the same one? Page 7 of my blog. I did it in black and white. Your colors are an eyecatcher!

Jennifer said...

The magnolia is beautiful! The blue background is great. And the colors in the shadows are beautiful.

Barbara Muir said...

I am always amazed at your beautiful work, and you are always explaining what you should have done.

So beautiful -- both paintings.
XO Barbara