Monday, January 23, 2012

dpw challenge


(9x4.5)
Last week's Daily Paintworks Challenge was to paint something using Pantone's "Color of the Year," Tangerine Tango.
I did the painting below, on hot press paper, first; then the one above, on cold press.
The hot press one is a bit overworked, I think--hot press can be deceptive: you can push the paint around so much, but it turns out to not be a good idea!
In the cold press version, I used more quinacridone colors, and also thought about what to do more, based on things I wasn't pleased with in the first version.

 
(9x4.5)
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Barbra Joan said...

I just recently wrote about using HP paper.. I tend to like it , havent' used it more than a few times.. I say it's put down the stroke and no playing..
There is a book called Painting Flowers with Impact by Julie Collins .. I read it and re read it while I was recuouping last week .. . She uses a lot of hot pressed.. and I'm intrigued by the way it sits on top. I'm going to be doing a lot more of it... somehow it seems to work for me.. . I like both your versions... BTW !! BJ

renate said...

Hai Laura. Beautiful! I like both, but I prefer the first one (cold press) because of the deep reds in it the deep black center. Very nice!

Judy said...

I like both versions, wow those colors!

RH Carpenter said...

HP can be misleading - I like the way you define it. The top is my favorite - it's more bold and vibrant and deliciously orange :) Well done on both of them - I'm thinking about buying some tangerine shoes this year to celebrate the color :) ha ha

cathyswatercolors said...

Hi Laura, I'm crazy for this. Color explosion!

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Laura,

I like both a lot. And I'm intrigued by the differences. Cool.

XO Barbara

Deepa Gopal said...

Loved the first one more...the colours are much brighter and colourful.

Lisa Graham said...

This is really nice. I am not sure what press paper is...I will google it.

Have a great weekend!

Ruth said...

Your work is always soul-filling for me.

Thank you so much for your greetings for our new grandson. We are over the moon! All the best.