Wednesday, December 21, 2011

seagulls in the sand




(5x7 each)
Painted alla prima, all in one go, on some 90 lb. paper I have had for awhile ... I used to use it for quick sketches in life-drawing classes, but I haven't taken a life class in awhile. It won't hold to much (any?) working, but is good paper in case you accidentally do something you like!
The photos I painted the seagulls from were taken by my teacher Marie Natale.
Below is a photo of my cat Smilla being adorably cat-like. She makes me smile everyday.

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

renate said...

I like the seagulls, they are painted in a simple nice way. The colors you've used are great!
Your cat is a cuty! My cat is called "daisy". A little mistake because it's an male...:)

Lisa Graham said...

I love the subtle look of water colors and your seagulls turned out so well.

Merry Christmas!

Maria's Watercolor said...

These are wonderful, funny how sometimes the simple ones are so delightful!

Cathy Gatland said...

These bird shapes and shadows are wonderful - I don't know how accidental, but I like them very much Laura!

Gwen Buchanan said...

I love the subtle delicate nature of your paintings, Laura. perfect for the season as it could also be snow.

Blaga said...

I love the immediacy of the seagull paintings and also the variety of color and the beautiful darks. What does Smilla think of the birds? :)

RH Carpenter said...

You've taken the best of what watercolor can do and done it in both of these - perhaps 90# paper releases something in you that you should explore even more :)

Unknown said...

Wonderful painting of the sea gulls.

Ann Buckner said...

I'm enjoying your paintings of the birds. Such clean, clear colors and lovely work.

Merry Christmas Laura, to you and your family.

JANE MINTER said...

these are super laura ...happy christmas laura !

Unknown said...

Wow ! Wonderful seagulls in the sand, Laura :) What a light !