A challenge from the Painting Loft, a supportive community of artists with numerous groups and challenges.
I did a rather elaborate drawing of this first time around: and painted it so weakly and tightly--I immediately tore it up (sorry now: wish I had saved it to post!).
This time, I worked smaller and did not spend much time drawing. I turned the reference and my painting upside down and started with the peaches; after I put down color, I'd flood it with clear water. It helped me not get too involved with what turned out to be a surprisingly complex subject.
Though I wish I had stopped sooner: the unfinished version below is brighter and has more of a focus.