Monday, June 20, 2011

expedius tempus


(10x14)
Found myself with no company and without any (paying) work to do (I could have worked in the yard) ... and with these already-cut lilies: so I made the most of it and spent part of the afternoon painting.
Also spent more time playing around with my palettes: it's such fun. I've had this Winsor & Newton set for more than twenty years, I think  (and good thing since it costs a small fortune now). It's such an ingenious little device--I have the same admiration for its design that I do for boat cabins, which always are so well-thought-out, a place for everything. Every time I attend a boat show I wish I had been a boat designer.
But, I haven't used this kit, which still had the original colors it came with, much of late. To make more use of it, I updated the selection of 12 colors it holds. And then realized I could squeeze in two more using glue dots--cadmium red light and cobalt violet. I had to forgo burnt sienna, which I actually use a lot, but figure I can mix a reasonable approximation of. Or I hope I can.

And here, for Father's Day (and, in the tradition of my father, a day late ...), a picture of my dad from 1975 standing in front of the house he built: he cleared the lot, designed the house, laid the foundation, did the framing, electric, plumbing, the roof ... My brothers and I helped with the drywall on weekends, and we'd sleep on lawn chairs in the house, which had no windows or doors. We got breakfast from Dunkin Donuts and built fires in the front yard and cooked hot dogs on sticks we picked up in the woods for dinner. Coming from NYC, we thought we were the Swiss Family Robinson. If the house is ever torn down, they'll find drawings of the Beatles on the back sides of the wallboard.
This is how I always picture Dad in my mind; he was 43. At 79, though, with pure white hair and well-trimmed Vandyke, he's still a handsome devil.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

A Brush with Color said...

What a great post, Laura! Your dad looks like a nice man, and what a good story to "flesh him out" for us--he sounds very cool. I had to smile at your tales of you all helping build that place. LOVE this watercolor. And I smiled again to see you show your paints--I was going to ask you what color it was in the watery glass there. Don't you love those little kits? They're so smart.

Suzanne McDermott said...

I love this post! (and Smilla's appearance in the last!). That WN field kit served as my entire studio for over a decade as I painted en plein air between gigs and trains and planes. I replaced the pans with my own colors, too, eventually. But that cobalt violet and cad red light - WOW! I'll have to read your previous post with the palette pics.

I made almost 100 great little watercolors out of that kit with that itty bitty brush. I wonder if I'd still have the patience. Enjoy every minute with this kit and make a whole bunch more of your beautiful paintings!
suzannemcdermott.com
drawandwatercolor.com

Autumn Leaves said...

Your dad is indeed a handsome devil. I love your imagery of your dad's house built with love for his family. And this painting? Oh my my my my! I think it is beautiful!

Melanie said...

Lovely colors on this new painting! My favorites!
I have that WN kit also - LOVE it.

Ann Buckner said...

I enjoyed your post Laura. The painting is coming along great. Love the fresh color. Your dad is a handsome man and I enjoyed your story about building the house. What great memories.

RH Carpenter said...

What an adventure and a great memory, helping build your house!! Your Dad is handsome :) And your painting is gorgeous - those greens are just like a emerald gemstone shining there. I have a small field kit by Holbein that I travel with (and rarely use) - shame on me!!! Never let paints and brushes lie still for a long time - they can get crabby!