Thursday, February 18, 2010

low-flow


  (5x7)
Another painting from a black-and-white photo found online. Hats make such wonderful props.
In this one, as I painted, I tried to concentrate on connecting the shapes, and on letting the paint flow.
I generally, especially when I'm painting just to get something done, to keep my hand in when I have too many other things to do, like now, work small. Smaller paintings are easier to complete--and I like to complete things (I can never decide if it's a virtue or a vice).
But it finally occurred to me while painting this that if you want to let the paint flow and see what it does, you should perhaps use a larger piece of paper to get the best effect, or more of the best effect.

Thanks for all the comments on yesterday's post; there was such a variety of opinion and they all gave me something to think about.
I should note here--it's part of my disorganization--that I have different "names" and profile pictures on different sites, which can be confusing ... even to me: I routinely forget passwords and open new accounts. Maybe next time I'm snowed in I'll work on having only one online presence, so as not to confuse people when I contact them on other sites. (Sorry, Carol!)
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

This is just simply wonderful. I cannot tell you the way my imagination goes with this one, but there is a definite feel of well-to-do ladies on a train trip for me. Truly a gorgeous painting, Laura. I think I want to paint just like you when I grow up!!

Carol said...

Me, too! I want to paint like Laura!! No need to apologize, btw, I thought it was cool to recognize your work!

A Brush with Color said...

I love your painting style. I think this one accomplishes what Charles Reid says to do in this type of image, Laura. Sweet! I agree about the hats--they are such fun--they look great here.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Laura,

I just love this and the hats. They seem important, the way they really would have been. So much thought would have gone into how the hats looked. Super painting.

Take care,

Barbara

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful, loose watercolor. I love the look of the two ladies sitting at the table with their hats.

Anonymous said...

Laura, lovely work....And I agree with you, I just adore painting hats and umbrellas

jyothisethu said...

good use of watercolour...
beautiful portrait...
went through the entire blog...
thank you for posting...

Don said...

very cool I love the hats and the waay they remind me of my parents' generation and how everyone wore hats back in the day.

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

I am loving this series from vintage photos. You are so right - hats are wonderful. They draw attention to the face, and yet they often obscure too - adds mystery I guess.

Liliana Lucki said...

Wonderful ,super sweet.

Very ,very nice !!!

From Argentine,Liliana