Saturday, May 30, 2009

(7x11)
One thing I learned the last two days painting apples is that I need to set a time limit on myself to keep from re- and overworking them.
Put it down one time and forget it.
I couldn't figure out what to do with all the white space in this arrangement; then I remembered a Charles Demuth painting in the catalog to the Cezanne and Beyond show and added the red stripe.
Here is the page from the catalog: Demuth's 1925 Still Life with Apple and Bananas (11x18):

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Great idea to add the red stripe, it really jazzed it up some and tied that white cloth in with the rest. Hey, if you're gonna borrow, borrow from the best!
I like your apple paintings both days, even though you don't. They look fresh, not overworked and muddy.

Mineke Reinders said...

The red stripes work wonderfully, and the apples are just gorgeous! As always, your use of color is very appealing (the orange against the pink in the left apple, for example, the contrasting bits of blue-ish green). Very lovely and fresh.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Laura,

I like your apples and the stripe.

Your work is great.

Take care,

Barbara

A Brush with Color said...

The stripes are wonderful--really draw the eye in and through the painting and add punch. These are just great, Laura!

debwardart said...

Um hummm - good luck with that - put it down and get out!!! Seriously - looks to me like you do have the hang of it and I agree with the others - the red stripe really finished it off - I think it was a sketch and it's now a "painting"!
I admire all of you who do these little sketches every day!

Sharon said...

Oh, yummy!

Sharon said...

Gorgeous, bright colors on these watery apples.

Cathy Gatland said...

What a lovely painting - the red stripe was inspired!

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Oh this is awesome! It looks so lifelike! Very well done!