Saturday, July 19, 2008

preliminaries

I'm going to take the rest of the day off and watch movies and quaff wine: Juno and The Savages are in the queue, pinot grigio in the ice. But this morning I made a couple of preliminary drawings. I'm doing the bird-of-paradise-like flower painting again: smaller and on a better quality paper this time; I'd like to get more jewel-toned, bright colors this time--going smaller may give me more control. (7.5x11)
And I thought I'd give these sailboats a try. The background is extremely complicated, so, for now, I think my biggest challenge will be simplifying it while achieving some sort of "believability."

(7.5x11)

First go:

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Don said...

I absolutely love to see your sketches and then how you convert them into paintings. It makes me want to try to sketch. Maybe Ruth will give me some lessons!

Beautiful lines on the water.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Laura the lines in your drawings are so descriptive!!!!!